.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

 

New Dixie Chicks CD is Very Good

The Dixie Chicks have been through alot over the last couple of years -- ever since Natalie Maines dared to speak her mind about Bush and his war in Iraq.

The backlash from some country music fans and lots of conservatives, whipped up by conservative radio execs and conservative political operatives, resulted in protests, attempted boycotts, and even death threats.

I was amused when the protestors went out and bought Dixie Chicks CDs to participate in radio station-led CD burnings (like book burnings in the Nazi era), apparently not stopping to think that by purchasing the CD, they were giving their money to the Dixie Chicks and their record label.

But I was saddened when I heard about the death threats. I couldn't understand how someone could become so full of hate that they would threaten to kill someone over an opinion.

The new CD -- Taking the Long Way -- has several songs with references, some more overt than others, to the episode. But they are not backing down. And for that I am very proud.

Listen to the CD. Listen to the song "Not Ready to Make Nice." (When you go to their Web site, this song plays automatically.) Natalie sings:

"It's a sad, sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she oughta hate a perfect stranger.
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Saying that I'd better
Shut up and sing or my life will be over?"

It is very sad that people could become so filled with hate that they would threaten to kill someone over words.

And it's very sad that the manipulators -- the conservative radio execs and political operatives -- are already gearing up protests and promising not to play the new CD.

But of course, as I have pointed out in some recent posts, the protests always backfire, as they create publicity for something they want people not to see or hear.

I am very proud of the Dixie Chicks for not backing down. Buy the CD. It's very good.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter
Google